“Health is more than the absence of disease. Health is a state of optimal well-being.”
-The World Health Organization
When we talk about wellness in the context of mental health, it’s not just about treating a specific symptom or problem; it is about treating the whole person – inside and out.
SAMHSA’s Eight Dimensions of Wellness program promotes whole-person wellness in by focusing on eight key aspects of a person’s life that contribute to their overall well-being:
- Emotional–Coping effectively with events that occur in life and creating satisfying relationship.
- Physical–Addressing physical needs with proper nutrition, sleep and physical activity.
- Financial–Being able to meet current and future financial goals.
- Intellectual–Finding use for creative abilities, knowledge and skills.
- Occupational–Satisfaction in what one does for a living that gives them a sense of purpose and offers them an opportunity for growth.
- Environmental–Addressing the need for a pleasant, stimulating environments that promote daily wellness.
- Social–Creating a support system with others that fosters a sense of belonging and connection.
- Spiritual–Finding a sense of meaning and purpose in life.
Wellness is not a trend, and it certainly is not just about physical exercise and eating right. It’s a way of maintaining a balanced life. Resources to Recover constantly refers to these facets of total wellness (and more) to identify the best treatments and programs serving individuals and families affected by mental illness.
We love to hear from you! Tell us what you do to give a balanced healthy life in the comments below?
Photo by Marion Michele on Unsplash
- Silver Hill Hospital: My Family’s 35-Year History with a National Leader in Quality Mental Health Care - February 7, 2023
- Connecticut Mother Who Lost a Son to Overdose Shares Her Story and Hosts Wilton Fundraiser to Benefit Laurel House - November 9, 2022
- Laurel House Offers $10,000 Racial Equity Scholarship for a Black or Hispanic Student Pursuing a Master’s of Social Work Degree - June 8, 2022
One thought on “A Holistic Approach to Mental Health and Wellness”
A balanced lifestyle is essential to anyone’s well being.
Comments are closed.