Resources to Recover: A Mental Health Website for Families and Individuals
www.rtor.org is a free online service that helps people with mental health concerns connect with expert treatment and services. Through the website, families and individuals can contact a Resource Specialist by phone or email for free personalized help with a problem, obtain information about best practices, or consult the Directory of Family-Endorsed Providers for recommendations on vetted programs and practitioners.
Resources to Recover and the website rtor.org promote and enable positive life outcomes for people living with mental health disorders.
Goals of RtoR
Early Intervention and Remediation:
- helping individuals and their families connect with the right resources in time to prevent or lessen the harmful effects of mental illness
- integration and full participation of people with mental health disorders in their communities
- full remission of symptoms or, in the continued presence of symptoms, hope and the belief that one can live a self-directed life to reach one’s full potential.
The Case for RtoR
- People living with mental health disorders and their families and friends need a safe, easily accessible place to gain understanding about their symptoms and the options for treatment and support.
- Recovery is real. Some people experience a full remission of symptoms after an initial diagnosis. Others can learn to manage their symptoms in a way that enables them to gain independence and achieve their life aspirations.
- Despite the availability of effective treatments for most mental health problems, there are often long delays between the first onset of symptoms and the moment people get the full range of help they need. We call this delay the “cycle of discovery.”
- Early intervention with the right resources at the right time can shorten the cycle of discovery and make the critical difference between a life of disability and the hope of recovery, with prospects for increased self-sufficiency and positive quality of life.