Do you know that getting help from a mental health counselor is the first and most important step in overcoming anxiety, depression, addiction, trauma, and other fear-related issues?
In addition to seeing a counselor, another great way to get help and find people who can relate to your mental health situation is to join a local support group. A support group can go a long way in your mental health recovery.
With this in mind, here are seven ways you can benefit from a mental health support group.
- Find a support group that makes you feel comfortable: You can find a local mental health support group by talking to your doctor or therapist. You can also contact your local hospital or church to get some ideas on finding a great support group within travel distance to where you live.
- Get a friend to attend your first meeting: Some people may get nervous attending a mental health support group for the first time. If that’s the case for you, ask a friend or family member to go with you. Going to a support group with a friend can help make things a little more comfortable and easier for you.
- Get access to different resources: As you get situated in your group, it’s important to listen to what others have to say to get a feel for the people in your group. In addition, talk to others to get recommendations on what resources you can use to help with your situation. Always consult with your therapist or doctor when considering any advice from others!
- You will find others who can relate to your situation: Another great benefit of attending a support group is that you will be able to find others who can relate to your situation. Meeting others who are struggling with their mental health will give you additional perspectives regarding your current situation.
- You will improve: As you work with the people in your support group, you will strengthen your skillsets for managing fear-related issues. You will also be better able to cope with your depression and anxiety. Knowing how to manage your mental health will make you happier and help you get your life back on track.
- You will not be alone: By attending a support group, you will have people in your corner who can help your cope. You won’t feel as alone while you work on overcoming your anxiety and depression. It is best to seek out others who understand your situation and are supportive rather than arguing with your friends and family who give you a hard time.
- You may find other groups and programs: Talking to members of your support group may lead to additional referrals to other mental health-related programs in your area. Many people attend more than one group, but that is entirely up to you. Regardless, a support group will make your situation a lot easier to handle rather than staying at home and feeling anxious all the time.
If you or someone you know experiences mental health issues, it is important to seek help from a qualified professional. Our Resource Specialist can help you find expert mental health resources to recover in your community. Contact us now for more information on this free service to our users.
About the Author: Stan Popovich is the author of the popular managing fear book, “A Layman’s Guide to Managing Fear.” For more information about Stan’s book and to get some free mental health advice, please visit Stan’s website at http://www.managingfear.com
Image by www.rawpixel.com
The opinions and views expressed in any guest blog post do not necessarily reflect those of www.rtor.org or its sponsor, Laurel House, Inc. The author and www.rtor.org have no affiliations with any products or services mentioned in the article or linked to therein. Guest Authors may have affiliations to products mentioned or linked to in their author bios.
Recommended for You
- What is Your Learning Language? Part 1: Learning Through Reflective Wisdom - September 19, 2023
- Mental Health Screening: A Proactive Approach to Well-Being - September 18, 2023
- The Role of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) in Autism Treatment: Exploring Effective Strategies and Techniques - September 14, 2023