Mental Health Resources in Virginia

virginia-mental-healthVirginia has a population of approximately 8.5 million people. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), 4% of adults in Virginia live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Virginia are administered and provided by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services Office of Mental Health (OMH). Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services-Office of Substance Abuse Services (OSAS).

Only 41.5% of adults with any mental illness in Virginia receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers during 2017-2019 (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 58.5% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Virginia is ranked 42 out of 50 states and Washington D.C for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Virginia can apply for Medicaid through the Virginia Health Marketplace.

For free personalized help finding mental health resources in Virginia, Contact Us today.

Other Virginia Resources

Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services-Office of Mental Health (OMH)

Virginia Medicaid

Virginia 211 – 211 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 211 in any state, including Virginia, simply dial 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Virginia – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Virginia is one.

988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline – In Virginia and across the United States, 988 is the new 3-digit dialing code for quick and easy access to mental health crisis and suicide prevention services. The 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the United States.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email