Colorado has a population of approximately 5.4 million people. Close to 4.2% of adults in Colorado (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.
Public mental health and substance use services in Colorado are administered and provided by the Colorado Department of Human Services-Colorado Office of Behavioral Health.
Only 41.4% of adults with mental illness in Colorado receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 58.6% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Colorado is ranked 30 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.
Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Colorado can apply for Medicaid through the Colorado Health Marketplace.
Other Colorado Resources
Colorado Department of Human Services-Colorado Office of Behavioral Health
Colorado 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Colorado, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.
National Alliance on Mental Illness–Colorado – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Colorado is one.
For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.