Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Kansas

kansas mental health

kansas mental healthKansas has a population of approximately 2.9 million people. Close to 4.3% of adults in Kansas (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Kansas are administered and provided by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services–Kansas Behavioral Health Services. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by Kansas Substance Use Treatment Services.

Only 48.3% of adults with mental illness in Kansas receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 51.7% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Kansas is ranked 21 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Kansas can apply for Medicaid through the Kansas Health Marketplace.

Other Kansas Resources

Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services–Kansas Behavioral Health Services

Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services–Kansas Substance Use Treatment Services

Kansas Medicaid

Kansas 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Kansas, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Kansas – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Kansas is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.