Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in New Mexico

new mexico mental health

new mexico mental healthNew Mexico has a population of approximately 2.1 million people. Close to 4.7% of adults in New Mexico (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in New Mexico are administered and provided by the Human Service Department–Behavioral Health Services Division (BHSD).

Only 44.2% of adults with mental illness in New Mexico receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 55.8% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, New Mexico is ranked 22 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of New Mexico can apply for Medicaid through the New Mexico Health Marketplace.

Other New Mexico Resources

New Mexico Human Service Department–Behavioral Health Services Division (BHSD)

New Mexico Medicaid

New Mexico 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including New Mexico, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone. Information on 2-1-1 by region of New Mexico is listed below:

Central New Mexico 2-1-1

Eastern New Mexico 2-1-1

Northern New Mexico 2-1-1

Southwest New Mexico 2-1-1

National Alliance on Mental Illness–New Mexico – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–New Mexico is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Interact Marketing
Latest posts by Interact Marketing (see all)
    This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.