Mental Health Resources in Arizona

arizona-mental-healthArizona has a population of approximately 6.7 million people. Close to 4.6% of adults in Arizona (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Arizona are administered and provided by the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (ACCCS)–Regional Behavioral Health Authorities (RBHAs). Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Office of the Arizona Governor–Arizona Substance Abuse Partnership (ASAP).

Only 40.3% of adults with mental illness in Arizona receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 59.7% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Arizona is ranked 50 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Arizona can apply for Medicaid through the Arizona Health Marketplace.

Other Arizona Resources

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (ACCCS)–Regional Behavioral Health Authorities (RBHAs)

Office of the Arizona Governor–Arizona Substance Abuse Partnership (ASAP)

Arizona Medicaid

Arizona 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Arizona, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Arizona – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Arizona is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email