Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Arkansas

Arkansas mental health

Arkansas mental healthArkansas has a population of approximately 3 million people. Close to 5% of adults in Arkansas (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Arkansas are administered and provided by the Arkansas Department of Human Services–Division of Behavioral Health Services.

Only 46.5% of adults with mental illness in Arkansas  receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 53.5% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Arkansas is ranked 43 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Arkansas can apply for Medicaid through the Arkansas Health Marketplace.

Other Arkansas Resources

Arkansas Department of Human Services–Division of Aging, Adult and Behavioral Health Services

Arkansas Medicaid

Arkansas 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Arkansas, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Arkansas  – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Arkansas is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.