Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Alaska

Alaska mental health

Alaska mental healthAlaska has a population of approximately 736,732 people. Close to 4.2% of adults in Alaska (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Alaska are administered and provided by the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services–Division of Behavioral Health.

Only 35.7% of adults with mental illness in Alaska receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 64.3% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Alaska is ranked 13 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Alaska can apply for Medicaid through the Alaska Health Marketplace.

Other Alaska Resources

Alaska Department of Health and Social Services–Division of Behavioral Health

Alaska Medicaid

Alaska 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Alaska, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Alaska – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Alaska is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Latest posts by Interact Marketing (see all)
    This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

    Stay Up to Date

    Fill out the form to get Close to Home in your inbox.

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.