Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Hawaii

Hawaii mental health

Hawaii mental healthHawaii has a population of approximately 1.4 million people. Close to 3.2% of adults in Hawaii (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Hawaii are administered and provided by the State of Hawaii Department of Health–Adult Mental Health Division. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division.

Only 31.8% of adults with mental illness in Hawaii receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 68.2% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Hawaii is ranked 16 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Hawaii can apply for Medicaid through the Hawaii Health Marketplace.

Other Hawaii Resources

State of Hawaii Department of Health–Adult Mental Health Division

State of Hawaii Department of Health–Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division

Hawaii Medicaid

Hawaii 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Hawaii, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Hawaii – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Hawaii is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.