Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Georgia

georgia mental health

georgia mental healthGeorgia has a population of approximately 10.1 million people, making it the 8th most populated state in the nation. Close 3.6% of adults in Georgia (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Georgia are administered and provided by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities–Division of Behavioral Health. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Office of Addictive Diseases.

Only 38.7% of adults with mental illness in Georgia receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 61.3% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Georgia is ranked 34 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Georgia can apply for Medicaid through the Georgia Health Marketplace.

RtoR Family-Endorsed Providers in Georgia

Our Directory of Family-Endorsed Providers features multiple mental health resources in the state of Georgia. All of the Georgia providers listed below have been recommended by a family member of a person who has used their services and have been carefully vetted by our Advisory Group.

All Family-Endorsed Providers have three defining characteristics. They are recovery-oriented, embracing the principle that recovery is a real possibility for all people with mental health conditions. They are family-friendly, including family members in the treatment process. They use evidence-based best practices that are backed by scientific research.

Skyland Trail

Other Georgia Resources

Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities–Department of Behavioral Health

Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities—Office of Addictive Diseases

Georgia Medicaid

2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Georgia, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone. Information on 2-1-1 by region of Georgia is listed below:

Central Georgia 2-1-1

Greater Atlanta 2-1-1

Northeast Georgia 2-1-1

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Georgia – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Georgia is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.