Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Louisiana

Louisiana mental health

Louisiana mental healthLouisiana has a population of approximately 4.7 million people. Close to 3.6% of adults in Louisiana (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Louisiana are administered and provided by the Louisiana Department of Health–Office of Behavioral Health–Mental Health Services. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by Office of Behavioral Health–Addiction Disorders Services.

Only 38.2% of adults with mental illness in Louisiana receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 61.8% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Louisiana is ranked 42 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Louisiana can apply for Medicaid through the Louisiana Health Marketplace.

Other Louisana Resources

Louisiana Department of Health–Office of Behavioral Health–Mental Health Services

Louisiana Department of Health–Office of Behavioral Health–Addiction Disorders Services

Louisiana Medicaid

Louisiana 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Louisiana, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Lousiana – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Louisiana is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.