Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Maine

Maine mental health

Maine mental healthMaine has a population of approximately 1.4 million people. Close to 4.4% of adults in Maine (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance abuse services in Maine are administered and provided by the Maine Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services.

Only 54.9% of adults with mental illness in Maine receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 45.1% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Maine is ranked 10 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Maine can apply for Medicaid (known as MaineCare in Maine) through the Maine Health Marketplace.

Other Maine Resources

Maine Office of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services

Maine Medicaid

Maine 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Maine, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Maine – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Maine is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.