Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Mississippi

mississippi mental health

Mississippi has a population of approximately 3 million people. Close to 4.7% of adults in Mississippi (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Mississippi are administered and provided by the Mississippi Department of Mental Health. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Services.

Only 38.3% of adults with mental illness in Mississippi receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 61.7% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Mississippi is ranked 44 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Mississippi can apply for Medicaid through the Mississippi Health Marketplace.

Other Mississippi Resources

Mississippi Department of Mental Health

Mississippi Department of Mental Health–Bureau of Alochol and Drug Services

Mississippi Medicaid

Mississippi 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Mississippi, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Mississippi – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Mississippi is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Latest posts by Interact Marketing (see all)
    This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

    Stay Up to Date

    Fill out the form to get Close to Home in your inbox.

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.