Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in New Hampshire

new hampshire mental health

new hampshire mental health

New Hampshire has a population of approximately 1.3 million people. Close to 4% of adults in New Hampshire (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in New Hampshire are administered and provided by the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services–Bureau of Behavioral Health. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services.

Only 49.9% of adults with mental illness in New Hampshire receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 50.1% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, New Hampshire is ranked 20 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of New Hampshire can apply for Medicaid through the New Hampshire Health Marketplace.

Other New Hampshire Resources

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services–Bureau of Behavioral Health

New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services–Bureau of Drug and Alcohol Services

New Hampshire Medicaid

New Hampshire 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including New Hampshire, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–New Hampshire – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–New Hampshire is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.