Mental Health Resources in Nevada

nevada-mental-healthNevada has a population of approximately 2.8 million people. Close to 4% of adults in Nevada (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Nevada are administered and provided by the State of Nevada Division of Mental Health & Developmental Services. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health–Substance Abuse Prevention & Treatment Agency (SAPTA).

Only 32% of adults with mental illness in Nevada receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 68% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Nevada is ranked 51 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Nevada can apply for Medicaid through the Nevada Health Marketplace.

Other Nevada Resources

State of Nevada Division of Mental Health & Developmental Services

Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health–Substance Abuse Prevention & Treatment Agency (SAPTA)

Nevada Medicaid

Nevada 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Nevada, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Nevada – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Nevada is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email