Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Alabama

Alabama mental health

Alabama mental healthAlabama has a population of approximately 4.8 million people. Close to 4.1% of adults in Alabama (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Alabama are administered and provided by the Alabama Department of Mental Health. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Division of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

Only 43.5% of adults with mental illness in Alabama receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 56.5% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Alabama is ranked 46 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Alabama can apply for Medicaid through the Alabama Health Marketplace.

Other Alabama Resources

Alabama Department of Mental Health

Alabama Department of Mental Health–Division of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services

Alabama Medicaid

Alabama 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Alabama, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Alabama – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Alabama is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Interact Marketing
Latest posts by Interact Marketing (see all)
    This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.