Click Here for Mental Health Resources Relating to COVID-19

rtor.org is a free service of Laurel House Inc. a registered a 501 (c)(3)

Mental Health Resources in Rhode Island

Rhode Island has a population of approximately 1.1 million people, making it the 2nd most densely populated state in the nation. Close to 4.3% of adults in Rhode Island (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and addiction services in Rhode Island are administered and provided by The Division of Behavioral Healthcare Services.

Only 47.5 % of adults with mental illness in Rhode Island receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 52.5% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Rhode Island is ranked 36 out of 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Rhode Island can apply for Medicaid through the Rhode Island Health Marketplace.

Other Maryland Resources

Rhode Island Division of Behavioral Healthcare Services

Rhode Island Medicaid

Rhode Island 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Rhode Island, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Rhode Island – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Rhode Island is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email