Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in South Carolina


South_Carolina_mental_healthSouth Carolina has a population of approximately 4.8 million people. Close to 4.5% of adults in South Carolina (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health in South Carolina are administered and provided by the South Carolina Department of Mental Health. Substance use and addiction services are administered and provided by the South Carolina Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services.

Only 44.5 % of adults with mental illness in South Carolina receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 55.5% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, South Carolina is ranked 37 out of 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of South Carolina can apply for Medicaid (known as Healthy Connections in South Carolina) through the South Carolina Health Marketplace.

Other South Carolina Resources

South Carolina Department of Mental Health

South Carolina Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services

South Carolina Medicaid

South Carolina 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including South Carolina, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–South Carolina – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–South Carolina is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.



Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.