Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Pennsylvania


pennsylvania-mental-healthPennsylvania has a population of approximately 12.9 million people. Close to 4.06% of adults (according to SAMHSA) in the state of Pennsylvania live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in Pennsylvania are administered and provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services–Mental Health Services. Substance use and addiction treatment services in Pennsylvania are overseen on the county level by the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services–Substance Abuse Services.

Only 46.7% of adults with mental illness in Pennsylvania receive services from the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 53.3% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health American, Pennsylvania is ranked 9 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Pennsylvania can apply for Medicaid through the Pennsylvania Health Marketplace.

For free personalized help finding mental health resources in Pennsylvania, Contact Us today.

RtoR Family-Endorsed Providers in Pennsylvania

Our Directory of Family-Endorsed Providers features several mental health resources in the state of Pennsylvania. All of the Pennsylvania providers listed below have been recommended by a family member of a person who has used their services and have been carefully vetted by our Advisory Group.

All Family-Endorsed Providers have three defining characteristics. They are recovery-oriented, embracing the principle that recovery is a real possibility for all people with mental health conditions. They are family-friendly, including family members in the treatment process. They use evidence-based best practices that are backed by scientific research.

KidsPeace Psychiatric Children’s Hospital

rtor.org is a national website that offers families guidance, support and best practice resources for recovery-oriented mental health care. For free personalized help finding mental health resources in Pennsylvania contact a Resource Specialist now.

Other Pennsylvania Resources

Pennsylvania Department of Human Services–Mental Health Services

Pennsylvania Department of Human Services–Substance Abuse Services

Pennsylvania Medicaid

Pennsylvania 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Pennsylvania, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Pennsylvania – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates. There are many local NAMI groups in Pennsylvania serving residence on the regional or county level.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.