Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Tennessee

tennessee mental health

tennessee mental healthTennessee has a population of approximately 6.5 million people. Close to 4.3% of adults in Tennessee (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use and addiction treatment services in Tennessee are administered and provided by the Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services.

Only 43.2% of adults with mental illness in Tennessee receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 56.8% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Tennessee is ranked 41 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Tennessee can apply for Medicaid (known as TennCare in Tennessee) through the Tennessee Health Marketplace.

Other Tennessee Resources

Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services 

Tennessee Medicaid

Tennessee 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Tennessee, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Tennessee – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Tennessee is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.