Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Texas


texas-mental-healthTexas has a population of approximately 26.9 million people making it the 2nd most populated state in the nation. Close to 3.68% of adults (according to SAMHSA) in the state of Texas live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Texas are administered and provided by the Texas Department of State Health Services–Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division.

Only 38.3% of adults with mental illness in Texas receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 61.7% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Texas is ranked 32 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Texas can apply for Medicaid through the Texas Health Marketplace.

Other Texas Resources

Texas Department of State Health Services–Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division 

Texas Medicaid

Texas 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Texas, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Texas – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Texas is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.