Click Here for Mental Health Resources Relating to COVID-19

Mental Health Resources in Florida

florida-mental-healthFlorida has a population of approximately 19.9 million people making it the 3rd most populated state in the nation. Close to 3.8% of adults (according to SAMHSA) in Florida live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Florida are administered and provided by the The Florida Department of Children and Families–Substance Abuse and Mental Health Program (SAMH).

Only 36.3% of adults with mental illness in Florida receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 63.7% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Florida is ranked 28 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Florida can apply for Medicaid through the Florida Health Marketplace.

Other Florida Resources

Florida Department of Children and Families–Substance Abuse and Mental Health Program (SAMH).

Florida Medicaid

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Florida – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Florida is one.

2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Florida, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone. Information on 2-1-1 by region of Florida is listed below:

Central 2-1-1

Northeast 2-1-1

North Central 2-1-1

Northwest 2-1-1

Southwest 2-1-1

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email