Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Maryland


maryland_menta_healthMaryland has a population of approximately 5.6 million people. Close to 3.3% of adults in Maryland (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and addiction services in Maryland are administered and provided by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

Only 56.8% of adults with mental illness in Maryland receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 43.2% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Maryland is ranked 14 out of 51 states (including Washington D.C.) for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Maryland can apply for Medicaid through the Maryland Health Marketplace.

Other Maryland Resources

Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

Maryland Medicaid

Maryland 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Maryland, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Maryland – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Maryland is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Interact Marketing
Latest posts by Interact Marketing (see all)
    This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.