Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Michigan


michigan-mental-healthMichigan has a population of approximately 9.9 million people, making it the 9th most populated state in the nation. Close to 4.5% of adults in Michigan (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Michigan are administered and provided by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services–Behavioral Health & Developmental Disability.

Only 43.7% of adults with mental illness in Michigan receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 56.3% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Michigan is ranked 17 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Michigan can apply for Medicaid through the Michigan Health Marketplace.

Other Michigan Resources

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services–Behavioral Health & Developmental Disability

Michigan Medicaid

Michigan 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Michigan, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Michigan – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Michigan is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.