Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Nebraska

nebraska mental health

nebraska mental healthNebraska has a population of approximately 1.9 million people. Close to 4.4% of adults in Nebraska (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Nebraska are administered and provided by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services–Division of Behavioral Health Services.

Only 47% of adults with mental illness in Nebraska receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 53% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Nebraska is ranked 27 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Nebraska can apply for Medicaid through the Nebraska Health Marketplace.

Other Nebraska Resources

Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services–Division of Public and Behavioral Health (DPBH)

Nebraska Medicaid

Nebraska 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Nebraska, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Nebraska – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Nebraska is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.