Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in Ohio


ohio-mental-healthOhio has a population of approximately 11.5 million people, making it the 7th most populated state in the nation. Close to 4.7% of adults in Ohio (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Ohio are administered and provided by Ohio Mental Health and Addiction Services (MHAS).

Only 47% of adults with mental illness in Ohio receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 53% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Ohio is ranked 26 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Ohio can apply for Medicaid through the Ohio Health Marketplace.

Other Ohio Resources

Ohio Mental Health and Addiction Services (MHAS)

Ohio Medicaid

Ohio 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Ohio, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Ohio– The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Ohio is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.