Click Here for Mental Health Resources Relating to COVID-19

Mental Health Resources in Washington

washington-mental-healthWashington has a population of approximately 7 million people. Close to 5.1% of adults in Washington (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health and substance use services in Washington are administered and provided by the Washington State Department of  Social and Health Services–Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (BHA).

Only 44.4 % of adults with mental illness in Washington receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 55.6% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, Washington is ranked 30 out of 50 states and Washington D.C for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of Washington can apply for Medicaid through the Washington Health Marketplace.

Other Washington Resources

Washington State Department of Social and Health Services–Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (BHA)

Washington Medicaid

Washington 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including Washington, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–Washington – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group, representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–Washington is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email