Our Latest Blogs

Mental Health Resources in West Virginia

West Virginia has a population of approximately 1.9 million people. Close to 5.5% of adults in West Virginia (according to SAMHSA) live with serious mental health conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression.

Public mental health services in West Virginia are administered and provided by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources–Bureau of Behavioral Health and Health Facilities. Substance use and addiction treatment services are overseen by the Division on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse.

Only 46.9% of adults with mental illness in West Virginia receive any form of treatment from either the public system or private providers (according to SAMHSA). The remaining 53.1% receive no mental health treatment. According to Mental Health America, West Virginia is ranked 43 out of the 50 states and Washington D.C. for providing access to mental health services.

Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides health coverage to people with low income, including those who are unable to work because of a mental health disability. Residents of West Virginia can apply for Medicaid through the West Virginia Health Marketplace.

Other West Virginia Resources

West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources–Bureau of Behavioral Health and Health Facilities

West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources–Division on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse

West Virginia Medicaid

West Virginia 211 – 2-1-1 is a free referral and information helpline that connects people to a wide range of health and human services, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To contact 2-1-1 in any state, including West Virginia, simply dial the numbers 2-1-1 from any phone.

National Alliance on Mental Illness–West Virginia – The National Alliance on Mental Illness is a nationwide advocacy group representing families and people affected by mental health disorders in the United States. The national organization is organized into state and local affiliates, of which NAMI–West Virginia is one.

For weekly mental health and wellness articles, subscribe to our e-newsletter.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.